Followers

Powered by Blogger.
  • Home
  • Susan Sarandon On Mitt Romney Video: 'I'm So Entertained'

    Democratic activist and Hollywood actress Susan Sarandon finds the undercover video of Mitt Romney quite entertaining, but says it doesn't reveal anything new about the GOP candidate's character.

    Sarandon sat down with Joy Behar, another vocal liberal, on her show "Joy Behar: Say Anything!" to talk about the recently leaked undercover Romney video. In the recording, taken during a fundraiser in Boca Raton earlier this year, Romney commented on the "47 percent" who supposedly don't pay taxes, are "dependent on the government" and "believe they are victims." The video went viral online after it was posted on Mother Jones.

    "I'm so entertained," Sarandon told Behar. "I'm very happy that he's so entertaining. I don't know if it's going to cost him. I think a lot of people agree with him in seeing things that way. I guess it'll mostly effect the swing voters. And I think it's an interesting few days on the campaign trail to see how he deals with that. But I don't think that was really new information."

    "Well no, but it just made him look like Scrooge," Behar, whose show is broadcast on Al Gore's Current TV, interjected. "It made him look more Scrooge-like."

    "But I think that's what he is," Sarandon responded. "But I don't think — listening to, you know, how he's dealing, where he wants to spend his money, that he was very interested in education or the elderly and I mean a lot of the people he's talking about pay taxes so I don't know what he's thinking."

    Sarandon continued, "But a lot of people that also get Medicare pay taxes. All these programs aren't just for people that are goofing off. They're for people that we should be taking care of and I hope that I'm taking care of with Medicare and everything else."

    The 65-year-old actress is an active Democrat, who has donated to the campaigns of Barack Obama, John Edwards and John Kerry. She has spoken at numerous political rallies, including the recent Madison, Wis., protest of Governor Scott Walker. She's also a big fan of Occupy Wall Street.

    Sarandon is not the only media star to comment on the Romney video. The leaked footage has been in the headlines since Monday and made it to the late-night circuit on Tuesday.

    David Letterman welcomed President Obama to "The Late Show" and asked him about his interpretation of Romney's remarks.

    "Well, I don't know what he was referring to," Obama responded. "When I won in 2008, 47% voted for John McCain, they didn't vote for me. And what I said on Election Night was, 'Even though you didn't vote for me, I hear your voice. And I'm going to work as hard as I can to be your president.'"

    "One of the things I learned as president is you represent the entire country," Obama continued. "My expectation is, if you want to be president, you have to work for everybody, not just for some."
    Share this article :

    Total Pageviews