Followers

Powered by Blogger.
  • Home
  • Johnny 'Bananas' Devenanzio Responds To Critics After 'Entourage' Lawsuit Thrown Out Of Court

    MTV reality star Johnny "Bananas" Devenanzio may have won the last two installments of "The Challenge," but he lost his defamation lawsuit against HBO, Time Warner and "Entourage" creator Doug Ellin, which the New York Superior Court threw out last week. "Johnny Bananas" had hired Lindsay Lohan's former attorney, Stephanie Ovadia, and alleged that Johnny Drama's "Entourage" cartoon, titled "Johnny's Bananas," infringed on his nickname, constituted defamation, and had caused him both emotional distress and financial harm. HuffPost TV talked to a dejected, but resolute "Johnny Bananas" about how he was dealing with the legal setback, and tried to understand why he went forward with the lawsuit in the first place. Sorry to hear about the lawsuit getting thrown out. Yeah, it's kind of a bummer, man. But it's kind of the risk you run ... you're kind of taking a chance when you go into the legal realm. We always knew it was a possibility ... I see it more as a hurdle or roadblock that we're gonna have to figure a way around. So why did you file the lawsuit? What about the Johnny Bananas "Entourage" character felt like a personal attack? It's a situation where I've spent six years of my life creating a brand, and becoming a public figure being known by that name. So then for a show like "Entourage" to come along, who basically appeals to the same viewing audience as my show does, and turn my character into a cartoon monkey, that just didn't sit right with me. The example I use is they have their own characters on that show. What would HBO do if I went on my show and started calling myself Johnny Drama? ... I'm sure HBO would have had a problem with that if it was the other way around. Do you think they would have sued? I have no idea. They probably would have threatened to. Did the "Entourage" character actually cause you any financial harm? Basically what this is about is I make a large part of my living doing appearances, just being at bars and clubs and colleges at different events. The problem that this posed is that there started to be confusion, where people started saying, "Well, who are we booking? Are we booking you, or are we booking the Johnny Drama character? Are people gonna know it's you?" I've been to clubs before, and people have been like, "Where's Kevin Dillon at? We thought he was appearing here." That's basically what the basis of our law suit was: This has the ability to cause me harm financially and create confusion.
    Share this article :

    Total Pageviews