Followers

Powered by Blogger.
  • Home
  • Sunbed fanatic mother-of-three dies from skin cancer after body is riddled with 19 tumours

    A mother-of-three who started using a sunbed at 16 has died from skin cancer - after her body became riddled with 19 tumours.
    Donna Ballantyne, 39, went under the UV rays twice a week in unmanned coin-operated tanning booths.
    But nine years ago she developed a melanoma and spent nearly a decade fighting the disease as it spread around her body.
    She campaigned tirelessly to raise awareness of the danger of sunbeds after her diagnosis and raised more than £1million for cancer charities.
    Speaking two years ago, she said: 'If I could turn back time, I wouldn't have spent even one second of my life on a sunbed.
    'I am convinced that if I had never been near a sunbed I would not have been left fighting for my life after skin cancer spread around my body.'
    Donna started using sunbeds in the centre of Glasgow, where she grew up as a child, at the age of 16 and used them twice a week until she got married at 22.
    In a previous interview, she said: 'The sunbeds I used were unmanned, which meant there was no one there to advise me how long to go on for or how powerful the tubes were.
    'I would insert my money into the machine and lie there for as long as I liked. Sunbeds were fashionable and all my friends were using them.
    'I'm fair-skinned and I thought I looked better - more glamorous - with a tan. Read More
    Share this article :

    Total Pageviews