Powered by Blogger.
  • Home
  • Xiaomi vows to fight High Court order to resume India sales

    Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi says it will fully comply with the Delhi high Court order asking it to stop sales of its smatphones in the country, Manu Jain, head of the company's India operations, told ET. Xiaomi, the third largest smartphone maker in the world, had earlier suspended the upcoming flash sale of its Red Mi 1S and Red Mi Note smartphones.

    "We have not been served the notice till now, but we know about the issue. If the court has asked us not to do it, we won't do it," Jain said referring to the high court order barring Xiaomi from selling, importing or advertising mobile phones in India until February 5, the next date of hearing. "We would want to be 100% compliant with Indian rules and regulations."

    The order, which followed telecom equipment maker Ericsson's plea that Xiaomi was infringing on its patents, leaves its future flash sales and business prospects in ambiguity even as the fast growing smartphone maker is trying to work out legally to resolve this issue in a critical market for the company. "We will explore all options including legal options on what can be done. Our lawyers and legal teams are working on it but we don't know how this will proceed.
    We will communicate and explain very openly to our users about what the order says, once we get it," Jain added. The Delhi High Court on Tuesday had asked Xiaomi and its exclusive partner Flipkart to stop selling and importing phones in India until February 5 on Ericsson's allegations that Xiaomi infringed eight of its registered standard essential patents.

    Hugo Barra, head of international operations at Xiaomi, apologised to enthusiasts on Facebook on Thursday night while informing them about the company's decision to suspend sales. He added however, that the company 'firmly' intends to continue operations in India.

    India vs Australia, 1st Test: Fifties from Kohli, Vijay prop India

    India are battling hard on the fifth and final day of the opening Test in Adelaide on Saturday against a Nathan Lyon-led Australian bowling attack.

    Half-centuries from Murali Vijay and captain Virat Kohli have given India hope after opener Shikhar Dhawan was out for 9 and Cheteshwar Pujara for 21.

    Earlier, the hosts declared their second innings at 290/5, setting India a target of 364.

    India lost two wickets but were resisting Australia's bowlers well on the final day of the opening Adelaide Test on Saturday.

    Faced with an improbable 364 winning target off a minimum 98 overs after Australia declared on their overnight score of 290 for five, the tourists were 105 for two at lunch.

    Opener Murali Vijay was unbeaten on 47 with skipper Virat Kohli not out 25.

    In hot sunny conditions, the Indians lost the wickets of Shikhar Dhawan and Cheteshwar Pujara in the extended morning session, but Vijay and Kohli safely got their team through to lunch.
    India face an against-the-odds target with no team scoring more than 315 to win a Test match at the Adelaide Oval since Australia overhauled England at the ground in 1902.

    Dhawan appeared to get a bad call by umpire Ian Gould when he was given out caught behind off a Mitchell Johnson bouncer for nine in the day's fifth over.

    Replays indicated that the ball came off Dhawan's shoulder and not glove as wicketkeeper Brad Haddin took an athletic catch down the leg-side.

    Vijay survived a big shout on 24 for leg before wicket going back on his stumps off Lyon.

    Umpire Marais Erasmus turned down Lyon's vociferous appeal and replays showed the ball would have hit the stumps.

    Pujara was done by one that Lyon straightened and he edged to Haddin for 21 in the 20th over leaving the tourists at 57 for two.

    Total Pageviews